Welcome Reader! This blog is designed to keep you up to date on the Palo Alto City Library events inspired by Bo Caldwell's book "The Distant Land of My Father". You can subscribe at the right under Updates Sent to You to recieve emails about upcoming events. You can Unsubscribe by simply clicking a link at the bottom of any posting sent to you.
Go to Library Homepage Find books, DVDs, music and more

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Until Next Year

The 122 people that came on a rainy day to hear author Bo Caldwell speak were treated to a delightful afternoon! This final event for Palo Alto's celebration of Silicon Valley Reads 2008 was the perfect ending to two months of programs, book talks and presentations. Thank you to all who turned out, and to all that read the book The Distant Land of My Father.

Here is a heartfelt letter to Ms. Caldwell from a gentleman who found parallels between his life and her story. The Distant Land of My Father has touched many in our community!


Again, thank you Palo Alto! Also, thank you Deborah Anthonyson and Abby Boyd, the two senior librarians who put together this wonderful series of events, and thank you to all the volunteers and other library staff who assisted them. You brightened our winter months!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the book Distant Land. I could not put it down. When I finished, I walked away with a strong desire to live my life with little or no regrets. A bit of guilt must have been running through me. So I got in my car to spend the day with my mother to take her to the bank, grocery shopping etc. I decided to be helpful and to be a good daughter for my new year resolution. The book left me with tender feelings about parents and that struggles throughout their lives permanently mold them. They cannot be changed at this point and should be celebrated entirely as they are.

Anonymous said...

Another theme I enjoyed was the author’s exploration of Shanghai and her life journey with a beginning reference point. It might be the house you grew up in or the most consistent person in your life with unconditional love – your mother, but a secure strong launching pad. I am now in my 50’s and can look back and see similar security patterns of flight, exploration / risk, retreat, regroup then flight again." -- Cynthia